History of Kerns
Many thanks to Betty Jibb, who compiled this brief glimpse into Kerns' history.
This scenic farming community, home to approximately 400 residents, officially became Kerns in 1904. Its roots go back to the early 1900s when settlers trudged north west of New Liskeard to clear land and build homesteads. Since timber was so abundant many saw mills opened. Sam Hogg and his wife Berta owned one such mill, hence the name Milberta came into being. Back then Milberta and Highland were thriving centers with stores, a blacksmith shop, a telephone exchange, a post office, hotels, churches and schools. These busy commercial sections are now farmland and the site of our township hall and garage.
Originally there were four schools - McCool, Red School, Highland, and Milberta. In 1961 these consolidated to become Kerns Public School - a major landmark of our Township.
After having a few churches, we now have only the Alexander Memorial United Church with an active United Church Women's Group, known for their dinners of turkey and homemade pies.
Several stores have come and gone, leaving us without any at the present day.
In early days, logging was the major industry, but as land became cleared, agriculture took over. Today we are proud of our "state-of-the-art" farmers in cash crop and animal operations.
Kerns Township is the base for many active organizations such as Lions, Lioness, Kerns Kountry Klub (seniors), United Church Women, Fire Department, and Milberta Community Women. These groups offer residents plenty of opportunities to get the sense of community through involvement, caring, and helping.
Kerns also has its own cemetery dating back to 1904. It's an interesting trip down memory lane to wander among the headstones and markers.